Stay safe in the Sun:
Sun sense facts you need to know to stay looking young –
- Infrared rays (via the sun, even on a cloudy day) can burn and age your skin. 80% of wrinkles come from sun ageing; the other 20% comes from other factors such as chronological ageing, smoking, and facial expressions.
- There are two types of UV rays: UVA (mostly the one you get on sunbeds) goes deep into the skins layers breaking down the skins collagen, and causing wrinkles, and UVB affects the top layer causing sun burn and skin cancer. Make sure your sun protection cream protects you from both.
- A tan is the skins natural defence to the sun, the more you tan the more your skin is trying to protect itself. The melanocytes (tanning cells) produce melanin (the tanned colour) as a protective mechanism for the skin. The darker the skin gets the better able the skin is, to absorb the ultra violet light coming through and hence protect itself further. You have often heard of people that say they go so dark, but no matter how long they stay in the sun, or how low they go with sun protection factor they just won’t get any darker. Remember though, that if a person such as this spends longer in the sun, even though they are not getting darker, they are causing damage to the underneath layers, as the skin does not have the ability to produce any more melanin. When you reach this stage your sun factor should increase, so you don’t go onto the next stage and dry out your skin and start peeling. Yes, this would explain how darker skinned individuals are better able to cope (tan) with the onslaught of UV light but not so great for lighter skinned people as their skin doesn’t have many melanocytes (tanning cells) and therefore they don’t have the ability to produce much melanin at all. This means that their skin must be protected at all times. People with fair skin must use a high sun protection cream factor at all times and protect their skin as they will not have the natural ability to offer even the slightest protection. Also, for the darker skinned people who think they are lucky to be able to tan and love to use lower sun factor, remember that if you have pushed your skin to its limits regularly, as you age that lovely tan can turn to pigmentation.
- Do not use products with salicylic acid, BHA’s, vitamin A or retinol before you intend to spend time in the sun as they will increase your sun sensitivity.
- Re-apply your sun factor every two hours, more often if you are swimming, and sweat will take your sun protection cream off.
- Replace your sun protection cream every year and more especially of it has been left in the heat, it will lose its effectiveness.
- A higher sun protection factor doesn’t stop you from tanning; it will however protect you from the sun for longer.
- Always use a good facial and body moisturiser to rehydrate and renew the skin after sun exposure. The Intensive Restoring Hydrating Mist and Serum is super to cool and calm and reduce redness together with the Intensive Restoring Facial Balm. For body care the Just Balm is the best product to use.