Here are the five biggest mistakes people make with their skin care routine every single day.
- Not cleansing properly is the first and biggest mistake that people make every day in their skincare routine. I recommend the Calendula and Orange Blossom Cleansing Balm which is an oil-based cleanser that easily dissolves all make-up, grime and pollutants from the skin. If you wear make-up every day, I recommend cleansing twice. Doing a bad job on this step means that everything you apply on after cleansing such as serum or moisturiser grabs onto what is left on there and brings the remaining bacteria into the skin with it, in turn making your serum, balm or moisturiser ineffective. I also recommend washing off your cleanser as opposed to using cotton wool to get a thoroughly cleansed skin, better for your skin and better for the environment too.
- Not washing out your Cleansing Cloths properly is a huge mistake. Bacteria love to hang about in old cloths to multiply and happily hop onto the skin when they get a chance. Rinse your cloth well after cleansing and hang up to air dry overnight. If you wear heavy make-up, then you might want to wash it with a little mild soap first, then rinse in clear water and hang up to air dry.
3. Not using a Hydrating Mist is a big no. It’s a step that many people leave out but its such an important step to keep the skin hydrated. Hydrating mist brings water-based vitamins and nutrients into the skin and prepares the skin for deeper moisturising. Dehydrated skin will never be as healthy or metabolise the nutrients in your moisturiser properly, if it’s not hydrated, so this step really is a win win. Choose your hydration mist based on your main skin concern, for example anti-ageing, vitality, sensitive, combination to get the best benefit.
4. Although you only need to exfoliate once or twice a week, not exfoliating is a mistake. The skin is always trying to protect itself and one of the ways it does this is to build up dead skin cells on the surface to protect the new skin cells growing underneath. If you don’t exfoliate, these dead skin cells are getting the benefit of your serum, balm and moisturiser instead of the new good skin underneath that should be getting the benefit.
5. Biggest mistake of all is cutting corners and expecting one magic potion to be the one and only solution to sorting all your skincare needs. No one product exists that contains all the nutrients the skin needs. The skin is a complex organ and the same as the body needs a varied diet, so too does your skin. Get into the habit of cleansing, hydrating and applying the correct moisturiser for your skin type. It really only takes a few minutes and will pay off in the long run to give you smooth healthy skin so you can stay healthy and age gracefully.